Health and safety policy
At Sunshine Wood we believe that the health and safety of children is of paramount importance. We make our setting a safe and healthy place for children, parents, staff and volunteers.
We aim to make children, parents and staff aware of health and safety issues and to minimise the hazards and risks to enable the children to thrive in a healthy and safe environment.
We have public liability insurance and employers’ liability insurance. This is renewed annually.
Health and safety procedures, we follow at Sunshine Wood:
- Risk assessments are done in all areas of the setting throughout the day and recorded.
- We do not use socket covers and this is why. (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5039454/Electrical-socket-safety-covers-are-absurd-and-dangerous-say-engineers.html)
- All toys, equipment and resources are regularly cleaned to protect from illness and infection to all using the setting.
- All setting doors are locked at all times.
- Confidentiality is kept at all times and all technology is password protected.
- A fire safety policy is in place to follow.
- No smoking policy is in place.
- Daily kitchen checks are carried out for the food safety.
- Children are outdoors as much as possible to encourage exercise.
- We follow strict hygiene requirements with food, resources and full toilet and setting checks.
- All warning signs are clear and in appropriate languages.
- Adults are provided with guidance about the safe storage, movement, lifting and erection of large pieces of equipment
- When adults need to reach up to store equipment, they are provided with safe equipment to do so.
- Adults do not remain in the building on their own or leave on their own after dark.
- We keep a record of all substances that may be hazardous to health – such as cleaning chemicals, or gardening chemicals if used. This states what the risks are and what to do if they have contact with eyes or skin or are ingested. It also states where they are stored.
- We keep all cleaning chemicals in their original containers.
- All floor surfaces are checked daily to ensure they are clean and not uneven, wet or damaged.
- All electrical/gas equipment conforms to safety requirements and is checked regularly. PAT testing takes place on an annual basis.
- Our boiler/electrical switch gear/meter cupboard is not accessible to the children.
- Heaters, electric sockets, wires and leads are properly guarded and the children are taught not to touch them.
- Storage heaters are checked daily to make sure they are not covered.
- There are sufficient sockets to prevent overloading.
- The temperature of hot water is controlled to prevent scalds.
- Lighting and ventilation are adequate in all areas including storage areas.
Regulations we follow and implement within Sunshine Wood:
- Health and Safety at Work Act (1974)
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992
- Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH) (2002)
- Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (as amended)
- Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992
- Health and Safety Law: What You Should Know (HSE Revised 2009)
- Health and Safety Regulation…A Short Guide (HSE 2003)
- Electrical Safety and You (HSE 1998)
- Working with substances hazardous to health: What You Need to Know About COSHH (HSE Revised 2009)